The Conroe Service League was organized in 1955 with 12 charter members for the purpose of fostering interest among its members and the community in the social, economic, cultural, civic and educational conditions of the area and to making effective their volunteer service. The League began its service identifying needy families and expanded its service to volunteering in the local hospital. With the help of generous donations, the League purchased many items for the hospital, including furnishings for the children's ward. League members visited the schools with works of art and gave lectures on art and art history. In 1956, the League further organized summer reading, music and art appreciation programs for children, in order to foster cultural arts in the community.
As the community needs grew, so did the need for funds. In 1957, the League established The Conroe Bargain Box as a resale shop to make good, used merchandise available to the public at considerably reduced retail prices. The Conroe Bargain Box, Inc. 501(c)(3) is a non-profit organization that enlists volunteers from the Conroe Service League to operate the shop and funds from the shop continue to be used to finance annual projects.
In 1986, the League opened the doors of The Heritage Museum with the help of a League fundraiser along with generous donations. The League served as the administrative body of the Museum for many years, until it could function on its own financially. The Museum is run today by the League's Sustainer organization.
While the programs of the League have changed over the past years in order to meet the needs of its rapidly growing and changing community, its mission continues to be directed toward the betterment of Montgomery County.